Sunday afternoon, beside the waterfall...

 
  It's Sunday afternoon here at the hospice.  I write to you with the window open, the breeze gently poking it's head in, the birds squabbling over the food in the feeder and the clouds providing a spectacular background to my thoughts.  I hope you all look up and appreciate the skies above, where God paints the world with love, that's how I know He lives (words from a very old song on a kids record).   And in our devotions the other day, there was a reminder and a call to look beyond the clouds, the flowers, the birds and look to the Master of Creation, to the God who loves us, who creates beauty for us to appreciate and enjoy and who teaches us to appreciate these beauties.\
           I   have to admit that this picture is not one that I took...I looked through my archives for a suitable image but there was none.  I need to acknowledge that the image is not my own and I want to be honest about that.  It is a beautiful shot and instantly reminded me of heaven and the majesties of the clouds.
  File:Clouds.jpeg
     Our sermon text for this morning was from Habakkuk 3 which gave us a chance to meditate on God's goodness despite being in difficult circumstances, to realize in a few short verses that God is with us in the high and low times, that He teaches us how to live in both circumstances - joy and sorrow.   This past week and a bit since we've been settling in here at Bob Kemp have brought moments of sorrow and joy.  We've been surrounded by visits from dear dear friends and family and they have been of much support and joy even as tears flow down our cheeks realizing that this might possibly be the last times that we see and embrace each other - not knowing God's timing.  When we were told weeks to months at our family meeting, it was hard to know what that meant... does that mean I'll be here til Christmas or will this cancer beast which desires to suck my energy and strength be more aggressive than that and take more bites off than it can chew?  Already, as I am here, I do feel more relaxed and less stressed - it is a very mellow and peaceful atmosphere here - I've been doing visiting here and there but not too many in a day which can prove to be more than I can take - keeping our visitation times short and sweet has been helpful and my dear sister has been the Gatekeeper - a tough but necessary job.  I love to see everyone but mentally and even physically that can be a strain on the energy tax.
     Our room is a very calm and quiet place - positioned just beside the huge outdoor waterfall feature in the garden - the birds, particularly robins and finches love to take long baths in it.  The other beautiful and compelling thing is the bird feeders just outside the window - the squirrels do their best to get at the seeds but ultimately the most frequent winners are the sparrows and cardinals, for which I am thankful - the squirrels are quite well fed already.
     Yesterday was the first day that I was able to get home for a time - it was strange leaving the grounds and heading out and what fun thing to celebrate?  Our dear Martha's 4th birthday.  It's been a much anticipated event and it did not disappoint.  With a bouncy castle, a Paw Patrol/Princess cake, lots of presents, yummy food for lunch and lots of friends and family (40 people - lots of good big Dutch families!) , we celebrated with joy our daughter's birthday.  A time to forget a bit of what's going on and to share her joy!  I took a few naps to help me get through the day and what a joy that was too to sleep in my own bed - never realize how much you miss that - to ghost through the house a bit and run hands over this and that and to appreciate being home, amidst the familiar and comfortable.
       Tomorrow will bring some more sadness and time for thought as we will go to pick out a burial plot - a reminder that we are in our earthly home and that we look forward to a much more glorious one - words again of a kids song run through my head "heaven is a wonderful place, filled with glory and grace, I want to see my Savior's face cause heaven is a wonderful place."   It's so hard to think about leaving this earthly space and yet it is somewhere that we will be with our God all the time, not knowing sorrow or tears or pain or suffering - I'm okay with missing those things....
     I think I might cut things short now, with an encouragement to keep  your eyes to the beautiful skies, your heart near the beautiful scriptures and your family near and dear close.
 Psalm 27:13-14 

I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
14 
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.

Comments

  1. Danielle, I have been following your blog for a year now, thanks to your sister Rachel. You are such a gifted writer and a strong woman in Christ. Reading your blog and following your difficult journey has brought me closer to my Lord though I struggle with why you with all the pain when you've so much to live for. Thank you for your words of wisdom and sharing your heart. I pray for you daily, for strength, comfort, and time with your loved ones.
    Your sister in Christ, Diane Staines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle, I am a friend of Jen B, and have been following your blog. You are such an inspiration to me. Your ability to convey the reality of your situation, that though unbelievably difficult, is laced with grace and an unwaivering faith in our Saviour, Jesus Christ. I am praying for you!! For peace for what is to come and much strength to face it. May God’s most amazing love be with you and may you feel His presence throughout this difficult journey.
    Your sister in Christ,
    Sharon VanPopta

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Andy Bayer and I lost my wife Julia to ovarian cancer in Dec 2016. I'm so sorry for the path you have to walk. If either of you want to talk I am more than happy to offer any help I can from my experience. My email is andydbayer@gmail.com.

    Lots of prayers,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rev. VerMeulen preached tonight and explained how we live in a broken world but that in spite of everthing Christ reaches out to us with His Grace. he lives inside of us by his spirit. And yes, your writing and this picture in particular shows that. the heavens are being torn open so that we may get a glimps of the glory that awaits us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kindness in encouraging others. May the Lord continue to carry you through this trial ~ He knows far more than the doctors and has the power to sustain you.
    Much love and strength dear sister in our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Danielle and Timothy, Thank you for sharing with us this most difficult earthly journey that you are on. Your strength and faith is beyond encouraging as we walk through this life. We pray for you everyday and think of you often. Your recent posts have left our hearts broken for you but we pray for peace and continued strength for you all, especially you Danielle. Thank you for helping us see your joy in these extremely difficult days. Much love, Emily and Nick Van Berkel and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been praying for you and yours...fot months now as we've followed your journey by blog. Such a gift you have to share in words that open your heart and don't minimize the hard things while also showing God's sustaining grace. Our prayer for you is for much good time yet with those you love and for freedom from fear, freedom from pain. Thank you for blessing so many!
    Ruth and John Meerveld

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment